Monday, May 16, 2011

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)


Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time is a film adaptation of the well know and loved Prince of Persia series that contains almost a record number of games that stretch back all the way to 1989. Overall I would say that it is one of the best game to film adaptations I have ever watched, but unfortunately that still only translates into a average fantasy action film; But if you are a fan of either the action genre or Prince of Persia I would recommend giving it a try (and as a fan of both I rather like it).


Like the game, the protagonist is a prince who comes across the Dagger of Time and the Sands of Time and must stop some apocalyptic catastrophe from happening, which was set in motion because of his actions and the Sands of Time. But what the movie is mostly about is the action with the prince and others fighting in many situations and the prince in particular showing off quite impressive acrobatics throughout.


One thing to note is how non ostentatious the film is. Even with some magic thrown in, the film is just not as flashy as you normally see nowadays. The graphics, special effects, and even fight scenes are very good and enjoyable but often stay within the realm of realism, so much so that I have encountered problems finding good screenshots. Now I think I better explain further, I think this is a good thing and that even in fantasy films filled with magic there is still a place for realism. And it is not that it takes away anything from the film while you are watching it, it simple never goes over the top.

1 comment:

  1. I must admit the film was much better than I expected it to be. I actually thought it was enjoyable, and that coming from somebody who generally avoids watching anything produced in the wider L.A. area.

    ReplyDelete